Skip to content

Can LLC's Do 1031 Exchanges?

Published on September 27, 2007 by Sherri Dodsworth under Business, Cape San Blas, Port St. Joe, Real Estate

That was the question put to me this week, so I put the question to my “go to gurus” on such matters, The 1031 Exchange Experts, and this is what I found out.

If you are a “taxpayer,” you are eligible for a 1031 exchange. This includes individuals, LLCs, partnerships, corporations, trusts, or any other legal entity you can think of. You can find out more about 1031 exchange rules here.

Of course, just because you are a taxpayer, it doesn’t automatically mean you can do an exchange.

For instance you cannot sell your shares in a c-corporation (even if the c-corp only owns real estate) and then use the money to buy real estate. Shares are not “like-kind” to real estate. Neither are membership interests or partnership interests.

On the other hand, if you sell business or investment real estate, all you have to do is buy other business or investment real estate. A piece of land almost always qualifies for a 1031 exchange, and can be exchanged for a rental house, apartment building, commercial property, or any other real estate you hold primarily for business or investment. If you’re new to all of this, it might be worth reading about 1031 exchange real estate further online.

The bottom line is that your ownership entity should have zero bearing on whether you can do a 1031 exchange if you are exchanging real estate for real estate.

Be the first to comment

Thanks for leaving a comment. If you are new to leaving comments on my site, it will have to be approved before being posted.